Since the pre colonial days even before the days of the battle of Chateauguay and until today, the Chateauguay river was a historically significant waterway and an important ecosystem. Throughout the ages it was a key factor as source of income and food security, trade, transport and even industrial power related revenues benefiting citizens and the workforce of the region.
From the Adirondack area Chateaugay Lakes to Chateauguay Québec, this history laden 127 kilometers of waterway snakes it's way along municipalities, parishes, historical townships, and through six MRC's (regional county municipality) until it finally spills out into the Saint Lawrence River.
Home to many species of fish and water fowl, this river plays temporary residence as host to flocks of migratory birds who regularly use it as a rest stop on their way to other North American destinations and nesting grounds. Many species of fish and fauna have rebounded in recent years as efforts for environmental clean up of the polluted water and riverbanks has increased readily.
In the old industrial days of the Chateauguay's heydey, another important role was played due to the hydraulic power generated by the waters of the Chateauguay, The Trout and The English rivers. Chateauguay Valley towns such as Athelstan, Kensington, Huntingdon, Dewittville, Ormstown, Howick and Saint-Chrysostome. Huntingdon became known as an industrious hub for business in the region and attracted millers, wheelwrights, blacksmiths, toolsmiths and shoemakers. . At the end of the century, the Village of Ormstown became as the centre of Quebec’s brick industry. Beauharnois had the mill -
Lovely bridges like the Powerscourt is the second-oldest covered bridge in Canada and the Turcot Bridge along the Châteauguay River It was built in 1889 so that area farmers could move grain to Beauharnois port.
Interesting article by Trout Unlimited Canada about the Chateauguay River fishery: http://www.tucanada.org/files/1/Currents_April_2014.pdf
Misc Links http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qcchatea/cvhs.htm